HP is the most secure????
- HP Inc. launched a bug bounty program, claiming its printers and MFPs are so secure that it would pay $10,000 to any hacker that was able to penetrate its devices
- On 8/6/2018, HP Inc. announced that up to 225 different models of its printers and MFPs are vulnerable to 2 critical RCE (remote code execution, aka malware) attacks, and stated that customers to download and install new patches immediately
- “A maliciously crafted file sent to an affected device can cause a stack or static buffer overflow, which could allow remote code execution”
- Models include OfficeJet, DeskJet, Envy, DesignJet, and PageWide model printers and MFPs
- “One of the challenges for business is that chief information security officers often are NOT involved in the purchase of printers and MFPs”
- Even after much bad press about security vulnerabilities in its MFPs and printers, HP announced it will continue its TV and YouTube ads featuring famous actors, Christian Slater and Jonathan Banks claiming that HP devices are the most secure