New security vulnerability for printer/MFPs?
- Reported by ZDNet magazine and JSOF Security a new vulnerability, named “Ripple20” that may impact some brands of MFPs and printers
- Impacts devices that use code from Treck Software (based in Cincinnati, Ohio) to manage their TCP/IP stack, which allows the printer/MFPs to connect to the Internet via TCP/IP connections
- Number of impacted products is estimated at “hundreds of millions”
- Some of the newly discovered vulnerabilities are listed as “extremely dangerous”
- Could allow a hacker to take over devices
- Customers are advised to check to see if any of their devices or software on their network use Treck and that this “should be a priority for all companies”
- (Konica Minolta bizhub MFPs do NOT use Treck software)